Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

A Second Life Phone...

I'm just throwing this out there.  I have a Skype account which works great.  I even have a Skype Online Notifier on my desk in SL.  This let's other avatars know my Skype is up and running - when they click it they can give me a call on their Skype. The only inconvenience I see with this is that you have to run another program outside of SL.  This got me thinking..... What if .....

What if I had an actual virtual/real phone on my virtual desk? A phone system/account similar to or even using Skype.  A phone that I can use to connect to real life phones in the real world ala Skype...... I use voice chat in SL to talk. The audio from the person I'm connecting by phone to would be audible in SL just as if it were another avatar. Conference calls even..... Imagine having a conference call where multiple avatars are present in your SL office and multiple people are simultaneously connected by real phones - all being able to voice chat with the others regardless of being inworld or not.....

Now, I have no idea at the moment how this would actually work at the nuts'n'bolts level, but..... I'm thinking this could be a potential killer-app for especially business in SL. 

Like I said, just an idea I'm throwing out there.....

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. I don't do Skype but I know alot who do.

    ReplyDelete